backround

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The One Where It's One of Those Days

It is one of those days.

You know.  The kind where you went to bed really late because the internet was full of surprises.  And then the kid woke up at 5:45 am.

Hubs had to leave for work anyways, so he gets ready while also trying to convince Little Man to stay in the crib and go back to bed.  Hahahah, not a chance.

So Mommy and Little Man are up at 7:00.  There is cleaning and work to be done, breakfasts to be eaten.  By the time I finish and head to the store.. its 10:30. 

Little Man doesn't like missing naptime.  He's angry.  I'm tired.

The screaming begins around Aisle 2.  Him, not me, but I'm not far behind him if I can't figure out how to make it stop.

I never know what the best course of action is when that happens.  We need groceries, so leaving isn't the option.  Sometimes we play a little pretend... I talk to him in a nice mommy voice, and pretend like he's contemplating stopping.  90% of the time I do this is for when the other shoppers give me that "Handle your child" death-stare.  But this is always futile... he's gonna scream until he gets what he wants, which in this case is a fluffy bed far away from that guy who is noisily grinding coffee beans or the other screaming baby which is flipping every sensory overload switch in Little Man's body.  There is no reasoning with Little Man.

So I do the only thing I know will stop the tantrum, and race to Aisle 4.  Granola bars.  I rip open a box, and let him have at it.

Then comes my favorite part.  That's when the Little Old Ladies appear.  You know, now that he's not screaming. 
"Let him cry it out next time honey, thats what I did with my kids." 
"Hard day hmm?"
"Shopping during naptime?"
"(to Little Man)All done now right sweetie??!!"  [Side note: Being addressed by the stranger makes him start screaming again]

And I have to smile and nod politely, and listen to stories about when their children were little and screamed in a grocery store, and get more helpful parenting tips... and I JUST WANT TO GO HOME AND TAKE A DAMN NAP AND DRINK MORE COFFEE.

Just one of those days.  Where he passed out in the car on the ride home, and so we missed naptime.

No comments:

Post a Comment